February 25, 2010

Servant

If you've been around me the last week you might have heard me jokingly complain about how I do all the dirty work for my job. I bleach the refrigerator, I wash the dishes, I pick up after people and deliever all their needs. And yes at some points I do have a poor attitude while doing it. Sometimes I even wonder "who goes to college to be a receptionist and clean up after everyone?"

But then the Lord quickly convicted me that I need to be grateful that I even have a job. Yes it's cliche, but times are tough and I am blessed to be working and compensated fairly decent. Do I wish it was challenging, let me be creative, and not sit at a desk all day? Well of Course! :)But I need to be joyful and thankful regardless. While I was soaking all of this in I was reminded of this verse:

“So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” I Corinthians 10:31

Ultimately it doesn't matter if I'm washing dishes or if I'm a CEO in corporate America, my attitude should be that as if I am doing it unto the Lord, because I am. My devotional today in My Utmost for His Highest, was also about the value of being a servant. Think the Lord is trying to teach me something? You bet! Check this blurb out from my reading...

"The ecclesiastical idea of a servant of God is not Jesus Christ's idea. His idea is that we serve Him by being the servants of other men. He says that in His Kingdom he that is greatest shall be the servant of all. The real test of the saint is not preaching the gospel, but washing disciples' feet, that is, doing the things that do not count in the actual estimate of men but count everything in the estimate of God." (Feb. 25, 2010)

So thats my new life challenge, to willingly serve others expecting nothing in return... no matter how small (as maybe a smile or thank you) or how big the return.

I challenge you to serve today too! See if you're not blessed as you bless others!

Love ya'll!
T&D

No comments: