March 2, 2010

Honesty is the best policy :)

Dishonesty and bending the truth seem to be a persistent theme in today's society. Seemingly, everywhere you turn awaits one who, without batting an eye, is willing to verbalize a statement that is entirely false, having every intention of you believing it.

I heard of a book called The Day America Told the Truth, this book reports that 91 percent of Americans lie on a regular basis. It goes on to say "The majority of us find it hard to go through a week without lying,". "And one in five cannot make it through a single day without lying." Apparently, we are a lying culture. The problem is that you cannot merely lie once a day and consider your life righteous and pure. You see the Bible encompasses the idea that you can not compartmentalize integrity. If you jeopardize your commitment to integrity in one area of your life the ramifications will desecrate the whole of who you are.

And, I'm not okay that.

Or with mediocre social standards.

I want to be the point of difference. I want others, when they consider me and my friendship, to be able to freely say that I am a person of integrity and honesty. I believe that no matter how arduous the truth is, it is always less piercing then a lie.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
- George Washington

To be trusted is a greater complement than to be loved.
- George MacDonald

“Yes, what joy for those whose record the Lord has cleared of sin, whose lives are lived in complete honesty.”
Psalm 32:2, NLT

No comments: