October 23, 2009

October 21, 2009

One of the sweetest times for me is listening to the older generations stories. I’ve got to hear many funny memories while being here in Bancroft, Nebraska (population=200). Travis’ grandparents live here and I’ve been blessed to have the opportunity to spend lots of quality time with them. Their names are Betty Lou (79 years old) and Harold Nelson (almost 85 years old). Harold was born in this farmhouse surrounded by 130 acres and lived here ever since. Bancroft really is the “small town” splendor that you read about in books or see in old time movies. You go into town, which is compiled of a few stores that don’t even add up to equal the size of a wal-mart. As “Grandma” and I entered each store we were personally greeted with first names by smiling faces. How sweet that everyone knows everyone! What is funny is that I ran to the store later that night to get something for Grandma and this woman asks “You’re not from Bancroft are you?” I giggled and said “no”. And she said she didn’t think so because she knows everyone here and she’s never seen me. So I guess each side has its’ pros and cons (moving a lot vs. staying in one place your whole life).

But, what I love so much about our Grandparents is their sense of well-being. The youth that they radiate is indescribable. Some may call it stubborn, others may say it’s just their personality, but whatever it be, they are determined to not be held back by aging. They still partake in their daily duties as if they were in their 20’s. Of course they make take a bit longer to finish their tasks, but they do it without groaning and complaining about their age and aches. I hope I am like them when I age. That’s part of the reason I decided 4 years ago to each very healthy and continue exercising. I do not want to be burdened with all kinds of illnesses, and not to mention my body is the Lords temple and He deserves the best I can give.

This last week we’ve been quite busy here in Nebraska. One day we spent 3 hours in the corn and bean fields combining (harvesting) the crops. This machine they use to harvest is so incredibly sophisticated, perhaps that is why it costs a mere $350,000. We also got to go look at a friend’s pet deer named Buddy the Buck. Grandma took me into “town” one day to shop and get our nails done. She’s a doll ☺. Besides that we drove through Iowa and South Dakota to get to Minneapolis, Minnesota for Travis’ brothers’ wedding. We had so much fun up there! Besides all of the wedding events we attended, we also got to play around in Mall of America and ride on roller coasters. It was fun to be around a lot of Travis’ family. They spoiled us so much, buying our meals or slipping us some money. What a blessing our family has been to us! I hope they know how truly grateful we are. The more others bless me the more I can’t wait to be able to bless others financially! That’s why it is better to give than to receive.

So… Friday we head back to Houston and the following Tuesday we head back to the DR.

To be honest I’m getting kind of sad about going back. I know you probably think I’m crazy that I would be sad… but as the holidays approach and the seasons change I’m quickly becoming aware of what I’m going to miss in the next few months. Decorating for Thanksgiving and Christmas, Thanksgiving Dinner, Cutting down our own Christmas Tree, Baking Christmas cookies, going caroling, cold weather, decorating the Tree, Church Christmas plays, and family. Yesterday I decided to have my own little festitivities. So I baked Pumpkin Chocolate Chip cookies while listening to Frank Sinatra’s Christmas Album.

So, please pray for us as we adjust to our new life. I know it will be wonderful with Travis and I; it is just going to be different the first year. Please pray for strength and discernment to continue following where the Lord is calling us, and comfort from Him as we adjust.

Love you all so much!
D&T

No comments: