August 27, 2009

Thursday August 27, 2009 11:45am

Early this morning Trav and I spent some time in prayer together. We were praying for both of our families and it made me think about how richly blessed we are with the families that stand behind us, encourage us, and support us. From Gary and Val helping us in so many ways, to my family housing us and taking care of us this summer we can’t even believe how blessed we are to be showered in so much love! We hope that one day we will be able to pay them back for their enormous acts of kindness. We without a doubt would not be able to take this risk and chase this adventure if it weren’t for them.

After we prayed we got ready to start our day…

I’m sure you can see a common theme throughout my blog that things are ever so slow here in this paradise. This morning (9:30) we were on our way to our friends’ pool to cool off and use their WIFI to settle shipping details. On our way we passed our landlord and she said the guy was on his way to fix our cable. So I came back to our place and Trav headed to the beach to talk business with the guy we are working for. It’s now noon and still no cable guy… haha.

With no pool in our backyard, Internet or cable it is easy to find time to have devotionals. This is actually a huge blessing living in an environment with fewer distractions leading us away from our priorities. This morning I’ve been able to catch up on lots of reading in the Word. It was so refreshing and comforting, especially in our current struggles/situations. I’ll share a couple of the verses that spoke to me the most…

Psalm 7:10 “My shield is God Most High who saves the upright in heart”


Psalm 9:9-10 “The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you”

Along with drawing nearer to the Lord, another beauty of our new move is the intense ways in which my husband and I are drawing closer to each other. We don’t have the modern technologies and distractions to be able to distance ourselves from each other (not that we want to… but sometimes it unintentionally happens). We can barely even communicate with other people here. Therefore, truly all we have is the Lord and each other. We were best friends before we even started dating, but this solidifies that we aren’t just spouses and lovers, but we still envelope the best friend element which is vital in marriage! We love to have fun and enjoy being in each other’s presences all day long. Even if we aren’t successful building a business here, we have learned so much and brought our relationship to a new and beautiful depth. Despite all the chaos and the fear of the unknown, it is totally worth the new fruits that are blossoming. I adore Travis and can’t imagine doing this crazy adventure with out him; in fact I wouldn’t even want to!

That’s all for now—
Love & miss y’all!
D&T

1 comment:

Valerie Baggett said...

I've been awake since 4:00am-ish and find myself sneaking my laptop to read your blogs. I don't want to wake Gary so I'm sitting in the kitchen having my French Vanilla Chocolate Latte and reading my favorite online stories. WOW, you remind me of my time in Guatemala City teaching high school Reading, Spelling, Language Arts and Math. While I felt so lost, I also felt a sense of accomplishment in helping others. Yall are doing a wonderful thing and we are living vicariously through you. We can't wait for our visit during the holidays to the DR. It's going to be so fun! We love and miss yall and are constantly bragging humbly about both of you AND Sugar.